Thursday, December 31, 2009

Your Potatoes

I asked Paula from www.waytenmom.blogspot.com to be my guest for this blog post.  Paula's husband loves to cook and she has agreed to post one of his favorite recipes. The recipe is great for entertaining a crowd or for an evening with family.
Enjoy!

Mince
Mash
Grate
Peel
Simmer
Recruit
Rice
Stir
And stir some more
Beat
Broil
Serve
Phew!
"Your Potatoes" is a code word in our family for " Aligot Gratin with Horseradish Cream". The dish requires all the steps above, and when it was last prepared on Christmas Day it also involved taking photos of a camera-shy cook and a not-so-shy teenaged fan.
My husband promised to "keep it simple" and to keep the workload to a minimum so that is how "your potatoes" worked their way onto the menu. Although that alone decimated the "simple idea",  the family unanimously agreed that it was worth the laborious preparation steps. Even our niece who is the dish's biggest fan, took up the ricer (That's where the "recruit" part of the task list above came in!)



The camera-shy hard at work husband grating the cheese for the gratin



The fruits of the family's labors...May not be a beauty but it tastes awesome!
Note: We may have made it less than beautiful by getting caught up in frenzied Christmas Day chatter and forgetting to rotate it to "ensure even browning"



Aligot Gratin with Horseradish Cream
Adjusted to serve  9
Recipe from: Gourmet 
Ingredients:
3lbs. (9 medium) Yukon gold potatoes
6 garlic cloves
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
4-1/2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
1 1/8 cups whole milk
7 1/2 cups (1- 1/8 lbs) coarsley grated Cantal or Gruyere cheese
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup chilled heavy cream
2 tablespoons bottled drained horseradish

Directions:
1. Simmer potatoes in salted water until very tender (about 40 minutes). Drain potatoes. Let the potatoes cool and then force through a ricer into a clean saucepan.
2. Mince and mash garlic cloves and salt into a paste.
3. Add the following to the potatoes:
Garlic/salt paste
4 1/2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
1 1/8 cups whole milk
4. Cook over moderate low heat, stirring, until fluffy and heated through, about 2 minutes.
5. Add cheese
6. Add pepper
7. Stir until cheese is melted, smooth and taffy like, about 10 minutes.
8. Preheat broiler. Transfer potato mixture into buttered baking dish and smooth the top.
9. Using a mixer beat heavy cream and then add the horseradish.
10. Spread the horseradish cream over potato mixture and broil 4-5 inches from top. Rotate mixture to ensure even browining. Takes about 2 minutes.

I encourage you to make your ricer the "implement of the day" and give this side dish a try. It goes well with any grilled or roasted meat.
It also goes well with teenagers. And that's a result that should satisfy any chef.


Pin It

28 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

The potato gratin looks very good. The browned part is actually my favourite!
Thanks, Paula, for sharing this lovely cheesy side dish.
Happy New Year!

girlichef said...

Delicious guest spot!! And ya know, a ricer has been on my list for, like...ever!!! These sound delicious :) Happy New Year to you, Velva!!!

Claudia said...

Oh how beautifully delicious! Happy New Year! I need some potatoes now to celebrate!

Fresh Local and Best said...

This looks like a wonderful recipe! Delicious!
Wishes for happiness and blessings in the coming year.

Susan Fields said...

Love the pictures, especially the camera-shy husband! The potatoes sound delicious, thanks for sharing such a special recipe.

KennyT said...

Hi Velva, Happy New Year!

Katy ~ said...

Oh my, a bit of work, but it sounds super!

Fun post, delicious recipe. Thank you!

Happy 2010! Wishing you the best!

TKW said...

That looks absolutely divine!!

Chow and Chatter said...

great post and neat recipe

happy new year Rebecca

Lop said...

Velva, thanks for your comment. You have extraordinary recipes on your blog. I wish you and your family a very good year in 2010! Lopfras

Sarah said...

Mmmmm, sounds delicious!
Happy New Year to you!!!

Hungry Dog said...

Wow, sounds incredible. Horseradish cream is genius!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

This sounds like a delicious recipe!

Happy New Year to you!

A Year on the Grill said...

Oh great... I am loving this, and now I have to add ricer to my wish list

Chef E said...

Wow, I wrote a poem almost exactly to the intro of this post...I will have to share one day, but please share some of these tasty tators!

This is a recipe I will have to try, and soon with my son...

Pierre said...

Hi Velva
Nice duet !!
and happy new year for you and your family !
a lot of scrumptious dishes to share this year

Joanne said...

Very cute guest post! I love the action photos. The dish looks and sounds amazing...I love a good potato dish.

happy New Year Velva!

buffalodick said...

Potatoes! A magic word to hypnotize my wife with...

Chris said...

That sounds like the PERFECT side dish for a prime rib, given the horseradish. Great guest post!

Kim said...

Holy cow, does this look amazing or what? Wow!

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Oh, that looks delicious! :)

Happy New Year!!!

Catherine said...

Hello! I'm giving you the Kreativ Blogger Award, hop over to my blog and see who else has been nominated!

Kitchen Butterfly said...

I have a ricer....and some horseradish.....and potatoes, though not Yukon Gold.....

The Absence of Alternatives said...

I just got a ricer!! (I feel like I got admitted into a secret club of people with a ricer...) I don't cook. I got it because it was on sale at William Sonoma (that's like my puzzling addiction. See above - I don't cook) My kids watched the instruction video with me and they talked me into it. My oldest can eat an entire pot of mashed potato by himself but he would have been happy with mashed potato from a box, not to be blasphemous here on Velva's turf... They could be happily recruited for any ricing effort: On Thanksgiving, I totally "Tom Sawyered" them into fighting over who would help. Bawhahaha...

The Ordinary Cook said...

This looks delicious, especially with the addition of horseradish.

Ashley said...

I don't use my ricer nearly enough. This looks fantastic! What a great way to get the whole family involved, too!

Sweet and Savory said...

This is a wonderful dish and a wonderful guest host. I am wondering what color bottled horseradish was used, white or red.

Jana said...

Oh wow miss Velva, you are my kind of cook! I love all the steps in this recipe, and I really love ethnic food which you seem to have quite a lot of around here! thanks so much for all your fantastic recipes! I cannot wait to try out those potatoes...and the noodle soup...Thanks for sharing and coming to visit me!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails