Thursday, October 21, 2010

Camarones Con Salsa de Anis (Shrimp with Anise Sauce)

There are days when it does not seem there is enough hours in the day to make it all happen.  This is an opportunity to reach out to one of my favorite bloggers and ask for help.  Erica graciously provided one of her authentic Colombian recipes to share with you.

I have been following My Colombian Recipes www.Mycolombianrecipes.com loyally since I started blogging. Erica was born and raised in Colombia and now lives in the U.S..  Erica strives through her blog to bring awareness and appreciation for Colombian culture and food traditions. You may have already discovered her blog. If not, please take the time to stop by and say hello to her. You will not be disappointed.

Without further ado-Welcome back Erica!

This simple Shrimp with Anise Sauce is a traditional Colombian dish from the Department of Sucre, where plain white rice is always served to soak up the aromatic anise sauce.

This dish is so simple that once you make it, it's pretty easy to remember.

Buen provecho!


Camarones Con Salsa de Anis (Shrimp with Anise Sauce)
Serves 2
Recipe from My Colombian Recipes

Ingredients:
10-12 shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon anise seeds
1/2 teaspoon anise extract
1/2 cup white wine
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper

Directions:
1.  In a large pot, bring water to a boil.  Turn off heat, add the shrimp and cover.  Leave the shrimp in the hot water for 1 minute, drain and set aside.

2.  In a large pot saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and olive oil.  Add the onions, garlic, salt and pepper.  Cook about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the flour and stir well.

3.  Add the wine to the saucepan, bring to a boil ad then reduce the heat to medium low.  Add the heavy cream, shrimp, anise seeds, anise extract and cook in sauce for 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat and add the chopped parsley.  Add salt and pepper, if necessary.


Pin It

46 comments:

Pam said...

I'm off to visit here because this shrimp sounds fantastic!

My Carolina Kitchen said...

We love anise anything and this shrimp dish looks divine. But I'm not familiar with anise extract. Wonder if I could use Pernod?
Sam

Design Wine and Dine said...

I wish I had had this recipe last night because I was looking for something different to do with shrimp! This looks great and unique - I would love to try! I have everything but the anise extract... :) Thanks for posting!

Susi said...

Yum, what a delicious sounding dish! I'm checking out Erica's blog now :o)

love lives in the kitchen said...

i love your recipe! shrimps are delicous anytime!
have a sweet day,
justyna

UrMomCooks said...

This looks delicious! Heading to Florida to visit my mom for a few days and she loves shrimp! I'm taking this recipe with me - I think she will really enjoy it! (Plus she loves to hear about my blogging adventures!) Also thanx for the referral to mycolombianrecipes - will check it out now!

Eliana said...

Hmmm - I love Latino cooking. This looks mouthwatering delicious.

The Japanese Redneck said...

It's a beautiful dish. I don't know if I've ever eaten anise in a meal before....

Looks wonderful.

Lyndsey said...

It looks wonderful, but then I like all of your recipes Erica! I am one of those that love star anise too! I'll remeber this one!

TKW said...

That looks seriously, seriously delicious.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Mmmmmmm I rather fancy the idea of trying that. Diane

Lynda said...

The shrimp look delicious and easy. I love Erica's blog and have followed it for quite awhile.

Marguerite said...

Looks absolutely divine! Thanks for the great recipe and link to Erica's blog!

Dishesdone said...

It looks absolutely fantastic! I'm off to see what other fantastic dishes Erica is sharing on her blog!

Jennifurla said...

Oh this is just such a lovely & simple meal

Bridgett said...

I love the anise seed paired with the shrimp. I would be an instant fan.

Hungry Dog said...

Wow. This looks beyond delicious--and not just because it's lunchtime here!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Hopefully, this wonderful dinner was sent along to you as well!

Erica said...

Thank you so much,Velva!It is an honor to post on Tomatoes on the Vine :)

lakeviewer said...

It sounds fantastic. I shall have to try it with sauteed fennel to round up the theme.

A Canadian Foodie said...

This sounds and looks really lovely. I had a mussels dish once that was similarly flavoured and I was licking the plate, but did not have the recipe - and had forgotten about it. Thank you!
:)
Valerie...
I will now check out the other site!
:)

Claudia said...

This is sensational - I love anise and the presentation is mouthwatering. Kudos!

My Little Space said...

Yes, Erika always amazed me with her out of the world recipes. She's such a fabulous cook. And this looks as amazing. Thank you for sharing. Hope you're having a fabulous day.
Kristy

Chef Chuck said...

Wow the wine the cream along with the shrimp!! I am sold, Thank you for sharing :)

The Absence of Alternatives said...

This looks soooooo good.....

grace said...

my experience with anise is very limited, but what i know of it, i love! what a terrific sauce and what an elegant final dish!

LaDivaCucina said...

Interestingly enough, I am doing a shrimp dish for a client next week using sambuca! Great flavor combo. Yours looks decadently delicious, Velva!

Raina said...

Sounds wonderful! Love that it is easy. It is funny because I bought anise seeds for something and used a tiny, tiny bit, and then I thought what the heck am I going to do with these now. Well thank you because now I know..lol:)

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

This sounds delicious and looks very appealing! I wonder if you could use fresh fennel instead? Thanks for the link to Erica's blog - I'll be visiting.

Barbara said...

I like Erica's blog too, Velva. Thanks for having her as a guest blogger!

Erica: Love the anise flavor in this dish. So unusual!

Sandy said...

I love shrimp and this looks like a really good recipe. I will have to check out her blog!

Ana Powell said...

Wow, what a lovely combination of flavours.
The heavy cream really balances the flavours out ♥

Jen_from_NJ said...

I will have to check out Erica's site. This shrimp looks and sounds amazing! I love South American cuisine.

Chris said...

I too have been a follower of Erica, her recipes rock. I've made a few of them and they have all been good. I like how she shares a little bit about the heritage behind the recipes.

Susan Fields said...

Shrimp is my favorite food. I'll definitely have to try this one!

Lunch Buckets said...

This looks fantastic! Thanks for the link to Erica - I know nothing about Colombian food. (I've never noticed anise extract either, glad I'm not alone)

Ingrid said...

Hi, Erica! It sounds and looks good! Thank you for sharing. I'm always on the lookout for new shrimp recipes.
~ingrid

Donna-FFW said...

What an absolutely gorgeous presentation!!!

Lucy said...

This looks unusual and delicious! I like your blog!

SashaInTheKitchen said...

Yum this looks amazing!

Kim said...

Hi Velva,

Thanks for stopping by the RGB! I'm a big fan of anise... never thought to pair it with a shrimp cream dish. Looks delicious!

[K]

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

i have been looking for something different for supper...and it looks like i have found it

:-)

happy to see you at farmhouse, my friend
kary and teddy
xxx

Angie's Recipes said...

I love prawns! And anise sauce makes it even better!

Sophie said...

Ooooh Velva!! What a festive & stylish prawn dish!! Looks so pretty too!

Chef Fresco said...

Thanks for the new site! The dish looks delicious! We need to try more Colombian inspired dishes.

Diana's Cocina said...

Oh, this looks delicious! I've been looking for ways to use up all the shrimp we have in the freezer!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails