Thursday, December 4, 2014

Savoring the Season: Spiced Pork Tenderloin with Sautéed Apples

The pleasure of simple, warm comfort foods this time of year is irresistible. With cooler weather comes new cravings.  Cravings for heartier and more substantial dishes (think homemade mac n' cheese, mashed potatoes, creamy soups, chicken pot pie and meat loaf).  We might crave comforting classic dishes but we don't like piling on the pounds that can stick around long after the winter thaw.

This easy to prepare pork tenderloin is a one pot wonder.  The dish highlights the flavors of fall with warm spices of cinnamon, nutmeg and coriander.  Add the sweetness of fresh apples, followed by a savory addition of shallots and thyme, and you have a feeling of satisfaction and comfort without guilt.

If you are thinking about cooking up some healthier options this holiday season consider adding this one to your recipe file.


Spiced Pork Tenderloin with Sautéed Apples
Serves 4
Recipe Adapted from Cooking Light



Ingredients:
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1-lb. pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut crosswise into 12 pieces
Cooking Spray
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups thinly sliced unpeeled Braeburn or Gala apple
1/3 cup chopped shallots
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup apple cider or unprocessed apple juice
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

Directions:
1.  Heat a large heavy skillet  over medium high heat.  Combine first 5 ingredients; sprinkle spice mixture evenly over pork.  Coat pan with cooking spray.  Add pork to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired doneness.  Remove pork from pan; keep warm.

2.  Melt butter in pan; swirl to coat.  Add apple slices, shallots, salt; saute 4 minutes or until apple starts to brown.  Add apple cider or juice to pan, and cook for 2 minutes or until apple is crisp tender.  Stir in thyme leaves.  Serve apple mixture with the pork.

Enjoy!


29 comments:

Michelle said...

Great recipe. Pork tenderloin is one of my favorites.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Hi Velva, Awesome and delicious looking spiced pork tenderloin. Would try this one out this weekend.
Deepa

Angie Schneider said...

The tenderloin pieces are so juicy and tender. I love it!

Barbara said...

The flavors in this dish must have smelled divine while cooking! Apples and pork are perfect partners and I love the spices you've added. Great comforting dish for cold winter days!

From the Kitchen said...

This dish has all my favorites. And, who would need potpourri with this on the stove??

Best,
Bonnie

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Beautiful dish. Pork and apples are a classic.
Sam

The JR said...

I've got a bunch of Japanese persimmons and apples I need to use. Might try this.

Happy weekend.

Rhodesia said...

Love this sort of dish did one similar the other night, Hope you are well, have a good weekend Diane

~~louise~~ said...

Love the flavors in this poek dish Velva. Looks like it cooks up in a breeze too. Pork and Apples are theeeeee best!!! Thanks for sharing this warming recipe Velva...

P.S. I took the Dark Chocolate Black Bean Brownies out of the oven about 10 minutes ago. I couldn't wait to try them and I must say, I dare anyone to say they weren't made with black beans! Indescribably delicious!!! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe Velva. I'll be posting about them on Sunday because Monday just happens to be...Brownie Day!!!

Pam said...

Velva, this is a great pork dish! The spice mixture for the meat sounds wonderful.

Pam Greer said...

Pork and apples - my favorite combination!

Marcie FlavortheMoments said...

I absolutely love pork with coriander, and the sautéed apples are the crowning glory. Delicious meal!

Roz Corieri Paige said...

A perfect pork (fall of the fork tender like yours is) roast is so perfect right now! We're needing some rib-sticking comfort food right now! beautiful presentation Velva!
Roz

Rebecca Subbiah said...

looks wonderful love the spices you used

grace said...

pork loin is probably our favorite meat to eat and my favorite to prepare, and it's never better than when it's served with apples. this is lovely!

Karen Harris said...

We bought a half pig earlier in the year, so as you can imagine, we have a freezer full of pork. This looks wonderful and gives me a new recipe for my boys. Thanks!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Delightful preparation. Pork tenderloin is a favorite of ours.

Kitchen Belleicious said...

the apples are just perfect with this pork. I would have never combined the too but I LOVE IT

Jem @ Lost in Utensils said...

Such a classic combination! Jealous of your cooler weather at the moment :)

Rambling Tart said...

Mmm, this sounds so good, Velva. :-) I will look forward to making it when the weather turns cooler. :-)

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

We love pork tenderloin and I haven't made one in ages. Thanks for the recipe, Velva. This looks delicious.

Chris said...

Pork and apples are as natural of a pairing as there could be, I like this one a lot. I need to prepare pork tenderloins more ways than just whole.

Taste of Beirut said...

You had me at "one pot wonder"... great recipe, thanks for sharing!

Roz Corieri Paige said...

Hope you're enjoying a beautiful Christmas season Velva! Stop by some time!
Buon Natale e' tu e' tuo familigia in Florida!
Baci,
Roz

Erica said...

That pork dish looks awesome! I am a huge pork loin fan and this recipe sounds delicious, Velva!

Bam's Kitchen said...

Hello Velva, love your pairing with pork and apples. I always like something a little sweet with my savoury pork and this dish sounds easy to prepare and comforting. I hope you are doing well. Take Care, BAM

Tina said...

Simple healthy foods - your blog always has go-to recipes. Love it.
I hope you are having a joyous season and staying warm. I may need to pick your brain for some gardening tips this upcoming year!

karen (Back Road Journal) said...

Pork and apples are such a nice combination and I like the flavor combination that you used for this dish.

Sue/the view from great island said...

I love this recipe, we often had pork at Christmas when I was growing up! Have a wonderful holiday Velva!

Post a Comment