Monday, July 4, 2016

Savoring the Season: Grilled Spiced Corn with Bacon


Growing-up there was only one way to eat sweet fresh corn and that was boiled.  My corn on the cob was always dressed the same.  A corn holder for each side, a pat of butter, salt and pepper.   I spent a lifetime eating corn without the slightest of variance.  Why? because it was good, it felt right and it never occurred to me it could be even better.

Do you know how to take fresh sweet summer corn and have a peak experience eating it?   Kick it up, spice it up and grill it up! Put some char on those kernels!  You will never eat corn the same way again.



Grilled Spiced Corn with Bacon
Serves 4
Recipe from All Recipes


Ingredients:
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
4 ears corn, husks and silks removed
4 slices bacon  (thinly sliced)

Directions:
1.  Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat  (375 F to 450 F)

2.  Stir together chili powder, coriander, cumin, oregano, and oil in a small bowl.  Rub mixture over corn.  Wrap each ear of corn in a bacon slice so that the bacon goes from one end of the ear to the other, without covering the whole ear.  Wrap corn in heavy-duty foil or a double layer of regular foil.

3.  Grill until bacon is cooked (it won't be crisp) and corn is piping hot, 20 to 25 minutes.  For crisp bacon, carefully remove corn from foil and grill it directly on grate for about 2 minutes more.

Enjoy!




SaveSaveSaveSave

28 comments:

That Girl said...

Corn is fantastic grilled, boiled,even raw!

Angie Schneider said...

Fresh and very delicious!

Julie said...

Hope you had a wonderful 4th of July. This corn looks delicious, perfect for this time of year.

rosaria williams said...

Most inviting!

grace said...

i've rarely varied from what i grew up eating either, and i certainly have never tried wrapping a cob in bacon--brilliant! :)

Tina said...

We will certainly try that method. I'm like you, had corn plain boiled or in soup when I was growing up. In Pennsylvania we had corn almost every meal in the summer, it was that plentiful.

Thanks for your comment. Goodness, it has been brutally hot. Are you still able to grow anything? My beans are done in and forget the tomatoes.

Marcelle @ A Little Fish in the Kitchen said...

Velva, this method to prepare grilled corn looks amazing! We grill corn on the cob pretty often, but good heavens, I've never thought to add bacon! Smart recipe!!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What a great way to serve corn on the 4th, or all summer when the corn is fresh :) I love the flavor of grilled corn too!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

Wow corn AND bacon. How perfect for the 4th! (Or the Wisconsin State Fair)

We Are Not Martha said...

Whoaaaa. Why have I never thought of this?! Best idea ever!!

Sues

Thompson Times said...

Definitely going to try this!!

Gloria Baker said...

Look soo good Velva, love these corns!!

From the Kitchen said...

Delicious! My past enjoyment of corn was exactly like yours. Still good but love experimenting too.

Best,
Bonnie

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

I have experimented with grilling and some flavors, but never this much...and with bacon on top....love it!

Kitchen Riffs said...

Love grilled corn. It's flavor is wonderful, isn't it? And adding bacon is such a fun idea! Haven't done that, but you know I will. :-) Thanks!

Catherine said...

Dear Velva, Kicked up corn!! Sounds wonderful with the bacon and spices. I am sure it was. Looking forward to giving it a try with the bacon. xo

Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen said...

This looks amazing! I love corn and bacon!

Cocoa and Lavender said...

Nice to meet you, Velva! This corn looks great (and easy) and I look forward to seeing more of your posts!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

I served grilled corn on the cob over the holiday weekend but yours certainly is a notch above what I made.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Velva, what a beautiful way to spice up corn, I'm afraid I fall in the category of eating it always the same way. Pinned to try another way. Looks delicious!!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

My family loves bacon and corn and I'm pretty sure they'll REALLY love this!

Big Dude said...

Looks delicious Velva - thanks you fixed my posting problem.

Just Cake Girl said...

Wonderful recipe! Hope you had a great 4th of July!

Beth said...

This looks great! I've always eaten mine boiled (and loved it) but this would be an awesome way to kick it up a notch.

Andrea said...

I've had grilled corn a few times, but I've never grilled it myself! Yours sounds wonderful with the nice mix of spices, and I know my boys would appreciate the bacon!

Thanks for sharing!

Andrea
Andrea’s Wellness Notes

Chris said...

I love grilled corn on the cob, it tastes so freaking good. I've tried the bacon thing once or twice but it was smoked instead of grilled. I was a bit underwhelmed so maybe I should try grilling like this. Looks like your bacon got crispier than mine did.

thepaintedapron.com said...

hi Velva, goodness, bacon wrapped corn! Count me in!
Jenna

My Life in the Charente said...

Corn is just coming into the shops here now so yum yum one of our favourite meals, Have a good week Diane

Post a Comment